right click protection

Monday, March 7, 2011

Project Mom {week2} "wide angles"

For this post, I decided to do some lens experimentation! Typically when I shoot portraits, I gear my camera up with my 50mm f1.8 lens (I am very much coveting the 1.4, but lenses do cost money!). It is my lens of choice for all of my newborn and baby shoots because of its crispness (prime lenses are typically the best in this area), flexibility with stretching a darker location (more open aperture settings), and most fun, its ability to produce beautiful bokeh or background blur, drawing more attention to your area of focus!

This past year, my hubby surprised me with the wide angle lens I had been yapping on about (he is so good to me). It was instant fun when I attached it on to my camera! Wide angles have a way of stretching the perspective, making things closer to your lens seem larger than other things in the picture! Wide angles also have a way of fitting more into the picture... these are the lenses that are typically used to photograph whole rooms, often used during wedding photography while a bride is getting ready.

So I asked myself, what would happen if I used a wide angle for some of my baby portrait photography? I decided to experiment on my little guy of course. The shots below are of him in his nursery, our favorite room in the house (I'll post pictures of it here as well). The first one is taken with my wide angle while the second was taken with my 50 mm prime... such fun results! I have decided that I need to break out this lens more often during my baby sessions... Its just too cool!



1 comment:

  1. LOVE!! How perfect is he? But I bet you already knew that, hehe. I really like the effect the wide angle gave to that first shot. Unexpected, really. The lens distortion is just so slight that it actually seems to plump him a bit more, doesn't it? And I LOVE your bedroom collage. So cute!

    ReplyDelete